What is Esalen® Massage?
Esalen® Massage, well-known for its long flowing strokes over the whole body, helps release the stresses of everyday life, leaving the receiver feeling whole, integrated and deeply relaxed, in a natural state of well-being. The Esalen Massage is best described as the interface and integration of form, energy, structure, and soul. With its nurturing contact, integrating strokes, and detailed attention to the whole body, an Esalen Massage provides a state of deep relaxation and healing.
Perched on the bluff above the ocean, and nestled beside the healing waters of Esalen’s renowned natural hot springs, our massage and bath area is inspired and influenced by the rhythm of ocean waves. It is a spectacular and deeply nourishing place to receive a massage.
Esalen practitioners are dedicated to connecting deeply with each client and can usually accommodate specific requests and preferences within the Esalen® massage modality. Practitioners combine a full-hearted presence with long, integrating strokes and slow, deep muscle work to release everyday stresses, still the mind, and leave you feeling integrated and deeply relaxed.
At the heart of all of our healing arts and massage sessions is a sense of empowering each individual to regain a sense of harmony, reverence, and balance, and to awaken inner resources for healing. It is not unusual for us to hear, "That was the most amazing massage I've ever received."
Scheduling an Esalen® Massage or other Healing Arts Session
To schedule your massage or healing arts session, please call 888-837-2536.
Esalen Institute Massage Prices and Hours
On Property/Guest Massages (for workshop or personal retreat participants)
- Sessions for guests participating in a workshop or staying for personal retreat cost $145 and last for 75 minutes.
- Massages are offered at 7:30am, 9:10am, 10:50am, 1:00pm, 2:40pm, 4:20pm, 6:30pm and 8:10pm.
- Although massages can be scheduled in person in the bookstore, to ensure that you secure a session at a time that does not conflict with your workshop schedule, we recommend booking in advance by calling Esalen Reservations at 888-837-2536.
Off Property Massage (for guests staying outside of Esalen)
- Even if you’re not staying at Esalen, you can join us for a massage or other bodywork session by advance reservation. Each session costs $185 and lasts for 75 minutes. You are also welcome to use the Esalen Baths for one hour before and after your massage or bodywork session.
- Sessions are offered Monday - Thursday & Saturday at 9:10am, 10:50am or 4:20pm; Friday & Sunday at 9:10am or 10:50am only. Please call Esalen Reservations at 888-837-2536 for availability.
- Please note: Only those with a reservation for a massage or other bodywork session may come onto the Esalen property. All massage sessions take place at the baths, where clothing is optional. If you have scheduled a different type of bodywork session, please inquire about the location when you check in.
Other Bodywork and Healing Arts Modalities
Many of Esalen's practitioners offer different forms of bodywork and healing arts, including Cortical Field Reeducation®, CranioSacral Therapy, LaStone® Therapy, and more. Click here for a glossary of these modalities. Please inquire with Esalen Reservations for pricing and availability.
All massage and alternative bodywork sessions are non-refundable and must be made on the phone with one of our staff by calling 888-837-2536. If you are unable to attend your session and give us at least 24 hours notice, you can reschedule without charge or receive an Esalen credit that can be applied to a future session or stay within one year. Cancellations with less than 24 hours notice are subject to full forfeiture of fees.