This is a super delicious and summery way to serve cauliflower as a salad. As a variation, if you steam the cauliflower a little longer, and add some lime juice and cilantro, you’ve got wonderful cauliflower ceviche.
- 1 large head cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 4 tomatoes, seeds mostly removed, sliced into eighths
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1-2 Jalapeño peppers, seeded and thinly sliced
- White wine vinegar, to taste
- Sea salt, to taste
- Olive oil, to taste
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Steam the cauliflower florets until just tender, 5-7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, combine tomatoes, bell peppers, chili peppers, and onions.
- Add a few splashes of vinegar and toss to dress. Add some salt and pepper and toss again. The vinegar will start to soften everything, and the salt will draw some water out of the tomatoes and peppers.
- When the cauliflower is done steaming, season it with a little salt, and let it cool about halfway. It should be good and warm when you add it to the bowl with the dressing ingredients.
- Add the cauliflower to the bowl with the other ingredients, and toss well.
- Add more vinegar, salt and pepper as needed to achieve a bright, bracing, spicy flavor.
- Toss every few minutes until the cauliflower is completely cool.
Photo: White cauliflower with green leaves by Horia Varlan under CC BY 2.0