This Esalen favorite offers a light but deeply flavorful take on soup that's both vegan and gluten free. All you’ll need is a blender and a large stock pot to make this wonderful offering.
2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for cauliflower
1 large head cauliflower, broken into florets
2 cups celery, small dice
2 cups yellow onion, small dice
2 cups mushrooms -- cremini or oyster -- small dice
1/2 cup garlic, fresh, minced
1 cup tomato, puree or paste
16 oz jar fire-roasted red pepper, drained
1/2 cup white wine
1 tablespoon black pepper, ground
2 teaspoons cumin, ground
2 teaspoons coriander seed, ground
2 teaspoons thyme, fresh
2 teaspoons oregano, fresh
2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning (optional)
3 bay leaves
1 quart diced tomato, canned, drained
1 quart fresh vegetable stock
Salt, season to taste, roughly one tablespoon
*Baking Soda (if needed)
- Rub cauliflower in olive oil. Roast at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until tender and edges start to brown.
- In stock pot, saute celery, onion, and mushroom on medium heat until tender.
- In blender, puree tomato paste, roasted red peppers, wine, all herbs and spices EXCEPT for the bay leaves.
- Add sauce from blender to stock pot. Simmer on medium low for 10 minutes, stirring frequently to avoid scorching.
- Add cauliflower, diced tomatoes, vegetable stock, and bay leaves.
- Bring to simmer. Season with salt.
- *Note: If soup tastes too acidic (sour), trying stirring in baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon at a time, until reaching desired acidity level.