March 24, 2020
While we all adjust to sudden lifestyle changes during COVID-19, there’s a vibrant call to action taking place: boost our immune system. With that in mind, we turned to the Esalen Juice bar to be reminded that juicing raw ingredients like turmeric root and ginger not only provides flavor to our juices but it is one of the best ways to enhance our immunity when health concerns are higher than normal, especially during times of stress.
Enter: Big Sur Sunshine. Originally created by Food and Beverage Supervisor Lisa Hudson last Fall, the delicious creation is rich in Vitamin C and contains peak-season oranges, especially those originating from California through April. The homeopathic benefits of raw turmeric root, ginger and oranges work well with other key ingredients, such as fennel bulb, a kiss of pineapple and Meyer Lemon. The divinely sweet “grown-up” orange juice is packed with minerals, nutrients and enzymes to keep us healthy throughout the season.
Ready to invite Big Sur into your home? Follow along:
- 6 oranges (peel removed)
- 2 fennel bulbs (tops trimmed off)
- 1 small pineapple (top trimmed off and skin removed)
- 1 thumb-sized piece of whole turmeric root
- Ginger root to taste
- 1 Meyer Lemon (peel removed)
- Consider a splash of your favorite consciously-harvested, organic coconut water to add extra hydration
- Wash all ingredients in a veggie wash of your choice and rinse clean.
- Prep ingredients, trimming inedible parts of the produce.
- Process ingredients through the juicer of your choice.
- Strain juice with a fine mesh strainer.
- Enjoy fresh or store in a sealed, air-tight glass container for up to 3 days.
This makes approximately four-six juices. Enjoy.