This course focuses on Yin yoga, mindfulness and how to sequence Yang poses with Yin sequences. It is designed for Yin/Yang yoga teachers and dedicated practitioners with at least two years of practice. Most students will benefit from having completed a 200–500 hour yoga teacher training prior to attending this course, especially if they intend to teach this material. It is not essential for those interested in cultivating their own practice.
This 100-hour intensive will deepen your ability to teach and/or practice a receptive Yin style and an active Yang style of yoga with an interest in promoting an inner environment conducive to meditation. Each day we will spend two hours each on Yin yoga, Yang yoga and mindfulness meditation. With primary focus on asana, pranayama and meditation, we will explore the following topics:
• How, why, and when to safely and effectively practice Yin Yoga
• Organ health and yoga practice
• How to balance Yin style with a Yang practice
• Subtle body anatomy according to yogic and Chinese philosophy
• Meridian Theory / Chinese Medicine
• Ujjayi breath and mindfulness in asana
• Buddhist psychology and emotional maturity
• Sequencing of postures for various levels
• Proper physical alignment in active postures
• Assisting those with injuries
• The use of touch and hands-on adjustments
• Skillful verbal communication
• Teacher/student relationship
This is a 100-hour Yoga Alliance training. To be eligible for the certificate, there is an essay requirement that will be assigned at the end of the training. Those who are unable to attend all of the classes will be awarded the certificate based only on the hours attended. Please plan your time and travel accordingly in order to not miss any of the sessions.
Note: Registration for this workshop is through Sarah Powers only. Please visit https://sarahpowers.com/iyi/insight-yoga-teacher-training-intensive-prim... for registration details. Only after you have registered and paid tuition fees will you be able to reserve accommodations at Esalen.
Required reading and viewing to be completed in advance of the course: Powers, Insight Yoga (book and DVD); Grilley, Yin Yoga: Principles and Practice; Gunaratana, Mindfulness in Plain English; Smith, Buddhism: A Concise Introduction.