A vital part of Esalen's mission is to help those seeking to acquire skills and knowledge to transform their lives and the world at large.
Our scholarship funds are limited, so awards will be made to those who will take what they have learned back to their homes, workplaces and communities.
Although personal growth is an essential step towards social transformation, almost all of our workshop scholarships are reserved for individuals who will use the information they gain to impact social change.
Limited financial assistance may be possible for applicants who plan to participate in qualifying workshops. Housing for scholarship recipients will be in sleeping bag accommodations or bunk accomodations when feasible.
Scholarship Application Criteria
- Submissions must be recieved at least 60 days prior to the start date of the workshop.
- Applications must be complete with all proof of financial need (W2s, pay stubs, etc.) emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Financial need is determined by the U.S. Federal Guidelines, which recommend ranges be set 2.5 times above the Federal Poverty level. While this income guideline is not our only consideration, it is very heavily weighted for all scholarship applications.
- Applicant must be at least 18 years old.
- Recipients of scholarship funds will be asked to share their experience in an online questionnaire.
Scholarship inquiries for workshops may be directed to email@example.com.
For Residential Study Program scholarship requests (formerly known as the Work Study Program), please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Qualifying workshops for 2019 will be published in January.
Esalen occasionally offers financial assistance to workshop participants in exchange for a work commitment in the kitchen or lodging departments.
- Five-day workshop: reduced fee of $100 for eight hours of work
- Weekend workshop: reduced fee of $50 for four hours of work.
Please request work exchange when making your reservation. Approved work exchange recipients will receive their work schedule upon arrival. We allow one work exchange opportunity per person per year.
Below: photo by Ali Kaukas.