The juice itself is called Farm & Garden Green and it's a garden lover's dream, according to Food and Beverage Supervisor Lisa Hudson. “This ‘un-recipe’ features seasonal ingredients growing in Esalen's Farm & Garden and, of course, that's constantly changing, as is the recipe!,” says Lisa. “The consistent thread you'll find is that it's packed with the freshest, most vibrant greens, veggies and herbs of the season, with just a kiss of sweetness that comes from Meyer Lemons that have grown around the Esalen property for many years.”
To get a taste of what that Esalen Farm & Garden flavor is like at this moment in time, Farm & Garden Green juice can be made by juicing the following organically grown ingredients. And of course you can always enjoy during your next Esalen visit.
- 2 zucchini or yellow squash
- 2 cucumbers
- 1 large handful of basil
- 3 fennel bulbs
- 1 bunch of parsley
- 8-10 leaves of culinary sage
- 6 stems of rainbow chard
- 4-6 stems of kale or collard greens
- 3 Meyer lemons (leaving about 50% of the peel)
- Wash all ingredients in a veggie wash of your choice and rinse clean.
- Prep ingredients, trimming any badly bruised or inedible parts of the produce.
- Process ingredients through the juicer of your choice. (We recommend a slow, masticating juicer or hydraulic cold press.)
- Strain juice with a fine mesh strainer.
- Enjoy fresh or store in a sealed, air-tight glass container for up to 3 days.
This makes approximately four-six juices. If you enjoy a sweeter juice, Asian Pear or any variety of apple that grows locally is a delicious addition to this recipe. Get playful as you walk through your own garden or local farmer's market to create your very own version of Farm & Garden Green.