Awaken the teacher within. The best way to learn how to teach yoga is to immerse yourself completely in a yogic lifestyle and practice so that your teaching comes from your deep personal experience. What better place than Esalen, with its culture of immersive, spiritually transformative programs and its magnificent beauty, to take your yoga practice to the next level? For the first time, Kripalu and Esalen join to offer a very special monthlong teacher training during which you will study in community with expert faculty, practice yoga every day, participate in posture clinics, study the ancient yogic texts, explore experiential anatomy, practice teaching in a variety of learning environments, and so much more.
What will you be taught?
• Skills for transformational teaching. Help your students develop a heightened sense of body-awareness and self-awareness to deepen their practices on the mat, and show them how to take that awareness into their lives off the mat
• The tools to create inspirational and safe yoga classes. Develop skills for teaching an inspirational 1-hour or 1½-hour yoga class, including creative ways to warm-up and cool down, the benefits of classical yoga postures, ways to motivate students and safely pace your class, and how to create lesson plans for a complete series of classes with progressive levels of difficulty
• Principles of anatomy, physiology, and kinesiology. Focus on safety, joint movement, range of motion, and a functional understanding of skeletomuscular systems and structures
• Pranayama techniques. Enable your students to experience body-mind integration and purification through yogic breathing, and teach them to connect consciously with prana, or life force, the inherent wisdom of the body.
• Relaxation and meditation methodology. Gain skills for centering yourself and your students, creating sacred space, and guiding the class in a deeply restorative savasana
Upon successful completion of the program, participants will be certified Kripalu Yoga teachers. On the first day of training, students receive a complimentary Kripalu Yoga Teacher 200-hour manual.
Fees for this program are $5800 for standard accommodations; $4700 for bunk bed accommodations. Space is limited.
Note: Application for this program is through Kripalu School of Yoga. You must first apply and be accepted through Kripalu before you can reserve and pay for Esalen accommodations. For more information, and to apply, visit www.kripalu.org/study_with_us/1388/. Only after you have filled out the Kripalu admissions application and have been accepted into the program will you be able to register with Esalen. Your participation in the program is not guaranteed until after your registration with Esalen is confirmed. Esalen and Kripalu scholarships do not apply for this program.
Required texts: Faulds, Kripalu Yoga: A Guide to Practice On and Off the Mat; Aldous, Anatomy and Asana: Preventing Yoga Injuries.