Esalen Institute, the pioneering alternative education center dedicated to personal and social transformation, is currently seeking a full-time 40 hour-per-week System and Network Administrator to join our Information Services team, based at our main campus in Big Sur, California, reporting to the Information Services Manager.
This position is responsible for development, maintenance, and support of the technology infrastructure of the organization, including computer systems, phones, network, Internet connectivity, and other related technologies. The ideal candidate for this position should possess advanced Macintosh system administration skills and have experience managing enterprise-level firewalls, switches and wireless access points.
Skills of both a system and network administrator will be needed to be successful in this position.
- Physical ability to walk, climb, crawl around property and lift computer equipment (50+ lbs) as necessary to perform duties
- Community interest and involvement necessary to work, adapt, and thrive in Esalen's unique professional and social environment
- Strong analytical capability and organizational skills
- Independent work ethic to carry projects through to completion and implement solutions without constant supervision; ability and desire to explore and learn new technologies
- Expert problem-solver able to accurately diagnose and repair systems
- Clear communication and willingness to relate to others, to listen and hear concerns in a patient and supportive manner; effective verbal and written communication skills
- Experience creating and updating system restore images
- Experience with backup software and both tape and hard drive backup scheduling/rotation
- Experience performing basic hardware repairs, ACMT certification a plus
- Experience writing detailed documentation, i.e. strong written and verbal skills
- Experience with ticketing systems and project management
- Familiarity with VMWare Familiarity with Windows Server 2008 and Terminal Services
- Experience setting up and maintaining Xsan and managing user privileges
- Experience managing Macs using Workgroup Manager (10.6) and Profile Manager (10.7)
- Experience managing Open Directory for a 100+ Macintosh Network
- Experience setting up and managing Snow Leopard Server and Lion Server
- Experience setting up and managing both public and private wifi networks and enforcing usage policies
- Experience setting up VPN access, both for satellite offices and remote users.
- Experience setting up and managing DNS, enterprise-level firewalls/switches and VLAN's.
- Preferred Skills/Qualifications
- SonicWALL firewalls and SonicPoint wireless access points
- HP ProCurve switches PresSTORE backup software (tape and disk backups)
- Promise RAID devices and QLogic fibre channel switches (Xsan)
- Casper Recon (assest management)
- DeployStudio (system image creation)
The pay for this position is commensurate with experience. This position includes a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, and paid time off.
Esalen provides staff with access to an extensive range of educational and community benefits, including movement classes, ongoing in-house programs, and discounts and scholarship for workshops, bodywork, and other Esalen services.
Established in 1962, Esalen is a leading center for exploring and realizing human potential through experience, education, and research. We work toward the realization of a more humane and all-embracing world, seeking answers to questions unlikely to be explored by traditional universities and religions.
We sponsor pioneering initiatives and offer personal, spiritual, and social transformation programs for residents, interns, and workshop participants.
Application deadline: open until filled. Esalen Institute is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.