Esalen Institute, the pioneering educational organization dedicated to personal and social transformation, is now hiring for the position of Senior Accountant in our Carmel Center. This position will report to the Director of Financial Services and is responsible for the maintenance, analyses, and research of financial / accounting information and overall support of the Finance department.
- Assist with preparation of monthly financial statements and supplemental reports
- Reconcile general ledger accounts on a monthly basis, including bank accounts, fixed assets, and all other balance sheet accounts
- Analyze and reconcile financial information to subsidiary systems (FileMaker and ADP)
- Manage fixed assets and track capital projects
- Coordinate annual insurance renewals and manage claims, including general liability, property, and D&O
- Prepare and file all property tax statements and annual exemption renewals
- Maintain records for real estate, leases, loans, and other asset records
- Compile reports and documentation for fiscal audits
- Prepare and enter journal entries as needed
- Complete other projects as assigned
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Accounting, or Finance is required
- Minimum five years of continuous accounting experience with a focus on general ledger and financial reporting
- Thorough understanding of GAAP and internal controls
- Non-profit / fund accounting experience preferred
- Proficient with MS Excel
Skills / Abilities
- Effective problem solving and analytical skills. Ability to identify trends and relationships within accounting data.
- Resourceful, high level of initiative and strong work ethic. Ability to work with minimum supervision and set priorities.
- Willingness and ability to work collaboratively with all team members, cross train in other accounting roles, and assist others at all levels of the organization.
- Good verbal and written communication skills, excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to maintain cooperative working relationships.
- Ability to maintain professionalism and exercise strict confidentiality.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee must be able to sit for long periods of time, occasionally carry and lift up to 25 pounds, and be able perform daily repetitive hand motions as it pertains to computer mouse and keyboard.
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time 40 hours per week position. The pay for this position is commensurate with experience. This position includes a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, and paid time off. Esalen provides staff with access to an extensive range of educational and community benefits, including movement classes, ongoing in-house programs, and discounts and scholarship for workshops, bodywork, and other Esalen services.
Established in 1962, Esalen is a leading center for exploring and realizing human potential through experience, education, and research. We work toward the realization of a more humane and all-embracing world, seeking answers to questions unlikely to be explored by traditional universities and religions. We sponsor pioneering initiatives and offer personal, spiritual, and social transformation programs for residents, interns, and workshop participants.
Application Deadline: Open until filled.