IN THE SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA AREANO TRAFFIC RESTRICTIONS ARE REPORTED FOR THIS AREA.
IN THE CENTRAL CALIFORNIA AREAIS CLOSED TO NORTHBOUND TRAFFIC FROM LAKE ST TO THE JCT OF US 101 /IN SAN FRANCISCO/ (SAN FRANCISCO CO) FROM 0001 HRS TO 0500 HRS 7 DAYS A WEEK THRU 8/3/14 - DUE TO CONSTRUCTION - A DETOUR IS AVAILABLE
IN THE NORTHERN CALIFORNIA AREA1-WAY CONTROLLED TRAFFIC AT VARIOUS LOCATIONS FROM 4.8 MI SOUTH TO 2.7 MI SOUTH OF POINT ARENA (MENDOCINO CO) FROM 0800 HRS TO 1500 HRS THURSDAY THRU FRIDAY THRU 8/1/14 - DUE TO MAINTENANCE - MOTORISTS ARE SUBJECT TO DELAYS OF UP TO 10 MINUTES
1-WAY CONTROLLED TRAFFIC 4.7 MI SOUTH OF ELK (MENDOCINO CO) FROM 0600 HRS TO 1700 HRS ON 8/1/14 - DUE TO CONSTRUCTION - MOTORISTS ARE SUBJECT TO DELAYS OF UP TO 10 MINUTES
1-WAY CONTROLLED TRAFFIC 2.5 MI SOUTH OF WESTPORT (MENDOCINO CO) FROM 0700 HRS TO 1700 HRS MONDAY THRU THURSDAY & FROM 0700 HRS TO 1500 HRS FRIDAY THRU 8/1/14 - DUE TO CONSTRUCTION
For traffic updates and other Caltrans projects in Monterey County, call (800) 427-ROAD (7623) within California and (916) 445-7623 from outside of California, or visit the Caltrans District 5 website.
Be sure to check here for any weather and road updates prior to your travel.
Stormy Weather Driving Safety Tips
- Driving after dark is highly discouraged!
- Caution should be exercised when traveling, especially after dark.
- You never know what will be around the next turn. Large rocks/boulders often fall into the roadway and falling rock damage to vehicles and tires is not uncommon, especially during rain. Drive cautiously and at an appropriate speed for you to see dangers before you are upon them.
- Watch out for little sharp rocks as they pierce tire sidewalls. Make certain your are driving on tires that have good tread left to them and have a good spare tire, a jack and lug wrench with you and easily accessible.
- Be prepared to sleep in your car on the side of the road if you become trapped between slides or amongst rocks and debris and can not safely drive through or around. Help and road clearing might not happen before morning and you may need to be self-sufficient until professionals arrive. Carry an emergency kit that includes a sleeping bag, warm clothes, water, flashlight, flares, cell phone, glasses and contact lens supplies and any personal medications you take.
More Weather and Road Links
- California Department of Transportation: Highway Conditions
- Weather.com: 7-Day Forecast for Big Sur, CA