Esalen Institute, the pioneering educational organization dedicated to personal and social transformation, is now hiring for the position of Payroll/Accounting Coordinator. The Payroll/Accounting Coordinator reports to the Director of Financial Services and is responsible for all aspects of payroll processing and assisting with general accounting functions. This is a full-time, 40 hour a week, position and works out of the Carmel Center offices.
- Process bi-weekly payroll in a timely manner and with high degree of accuracy
- Effectively maintain ADP Time and Attendance system
- Review and ensure accuracy and appropriateness of all payroll input and output
- Monitor and verify payroll deductions, including garnishments, 403b/401k, medical/dental premiums and other payroll information
- Maintain vacation/sick accruals
- Respond to employee inquiries and requests regarding payroll matters
- Process manual checks as requested by Human Resources or Accounting
- Work closely with Human Resources and Accounting on all payroll related issues
- Check exempt and non-exempt personnel timecards for compliance with policy requirements for vacation/sick/holiday pay. Ensure accuracy of overtime
- Review computed wages and correct errors to ensure the accuracy of earnings. Ensure that all changes to payroll are processed correctly
- Ensure proper check distribution for each department
- Provide labor reports on a monthly basis and other payroll-related reports as requested
- Maintain a working knowledge of current payroll related laws and regulations
- Prepare and input journal entries as assigned
- Maintain accurate payroll records and employee files, including manual check log
- Assist with reconciliations of payroll-related general ledger accounts
- Ability to work independently, self starter, energetic
- Complete other projects as assigned
Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum three years of payroll and general accounting experience
- Experience with ADP is preferred
- Strong understanding of GAAP and payroll
- Proficient with MS Excel
- High School diploma or equivalent is required.
Skills / Abilities
- Ability to work and communicate effectively and collaboratively with co-workers and other departments, and foster a pleasant and collegial working environment
- Able to show initiative, including anticipating what needs to be done before it becomes a necessity
- Effective in handling problems in the workplace, including anticipating, preventing, identifying and solving problems as necessary
- Ability to interpret and understand basic arithmetic functions, as well as complex information, including accounting data and financial information
- Effective at listening, understanding, and clarifying the concerns and issues raised by co-workers
- Willing to cross train others in the Payroll/Accounting Coordinator duties, as well as learn other accounting areas to provide back up support when needed
- Detail oriented
- Able to prioritize job functions in order to meet deadlines
- High level of professionalism and confidentiality
While performing the duties of this job, the employee must be able to sit for long periods of time, occasionally carry and lift up to 25 pounds, and be able perform daily repetitive hand motions as it pertains to computer mouse and keyboard.
The pay for this position is commensurate with experience. This position includes a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, and paid time off. Esalen provides staff with access to an extensive range of educational and community benefits, including movement classes, ongoing in-house programs, and discounts and scholarship for workshops, bodywork, and other Esalen services.
Established in 1962, Esalen is a leading center for exploring and realizing human potential through experience, education, and research. We work toward the realization of a more humane and all-embracing world, seeking answers to questions unlikely to be explored by traditional universities and religions. We sponsor pioneering initiatives and offer personal, spiritual, and social transformation programs for residents, interns, and workshop participants. To learn more about our history, browse our program and workshop offerings, or download the current catalog, please visit our web site at www.esalen.org.