Marketing & Communications Manager
Esalen Institute, the world-renowned alternative education center, dedicated to personal and social transformation, has an outstanding opportunity for a seasoned communications and website management professional to join our team. This position manages all marketing communications and PR initiatives for the entire organization, including revenue-generating activities such as public programming and philanthropic support and our virtual presence online. He/she is responsible for communicating Esalen’s mission to a variety of existing audiences, as well as developing new ones. The ideal candidate will collaborate with a variety of internal and external partners to achieve goals and objectives. This full-time position reports to the Director of Advancement and is based in Carmel with frequent visits to our main campus in Big Sur, California.
- Telling Esalen’s story – Develop and roll out effective ways of communicating the many facets of Esalen as well as the organization’s mission and accomplishments, and its vision for the future.
- Audience development – create marketing strategies to reach out to younger and more diverse constituents, and to attract those seeking a leadership role in social transformation.
- Long Term Development Plan communications – coordinate all aspects of the development status, including working with consultants on media relations.
- Media Relations. Manage relationships from journalists, photographers, videographers and respond to information, image and visit requests.
- Overall marketing and targeted marketing for Esalen workshops, festivals and special events, and partner programs.
- Budgetary and Fiscal Management. Manage the marketing/communications budget and keep all projects and costs within it.
- Marketing support for capital campaign, including donor cultivation, special events, and donor communications.
- Website – work closely with IT Manager and external vendor to edit and maintain all site content, features and capabilities for next phases of website development.
- Social Media – develop and implement a proactive social media strategy across all five of our social media channels.
- Comprehensive marketing and communications plan – produce and implement a multi-year plan with measureable objectives and target audiences.
Other Areas of Responsibility:
- Day-to day management of web site content, appearance, and navigation, including updates and additions.
- Create plans for promoting workshops that include advertising, social media, e-marketing and other communications tactics to drive attendance and reach new audiences.
- Manage the production and distribution of all print materials including the biannual catalog, direct mailings, in house signage, in-room print material, etc.
- Produce monthly E-News and eZine content and organize distribution.
- Conduct market research to understand and expand the Esalen demographic with special attention on creating inroads with a younger demographic.
- Cultivate strategic marketing and promotional partnerships, including empowering workshop leaders to market their workshops.
- Develop an internal communications program to support disseminating information related to organizational change and development.
- Define outcomes of marketing initiatives. Track, measure and communicate results to management, Board of Trustees and staff.
Indispensable Requirements for Our MarCom Manager & Webmaster:
- Sophisticated skill set and proven experience in priority areas.
- Minimum of 5 years management or senior level responsibility in marketing and communications and pubic relations.
- Understanding, appreciation and enthusiasm for Esalen’s mission and its unique community.
- Proven experience developing brand messages and visuals and communicating them powerfully.
- Superb communications skills – public speaking/presentation, written word, and visual/design.
- Strongly intrinsic motivation and ability to both direct and lead and block and tackle.
- Proficiency in interpersonal relations and willingness to relate to others, to listen and hear concerns in a patient and supportive manner.
- Ability to prioritize and distinguish what is critical and necessary.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in relevant field.
- Willingness to work in Carmel and Big Sur.
Preferred Qualifications for MarCom Manager:
- Demonstrated expertise in managing websites and site content via content management systems, familiarity with other online marketing, social media, electronic newsletters, email campaigns and viral marketing.
- Familiarity with bulk email systems and social media in direct marketing and segmentation.
- Awareness of emerging online and Internet capabilities, including mobile.
- Solid experience managing the production of marketing materials including print catalogs, brochures and direct mailings.
- Understanding of data gathering, data mining and mail list planning.
- Familiarity in working with journalists across different media.
- Expert problem-solver, able to accurately manage complex projects and respond to issues/opportunities in a timely manner.
- Independent work ethic to carry projects through to completion and implement solutions without constant supervision; ability and desire to explore and learn.
- Strong analytic capability, organizational skills, passion for details and ability to multi task and adapt to changing priorities.
- Patient but persistent approach to project management.
- Experience in educational or nonprofit sector.
- Confident, outgoing personality.
The pay for this position is commensurate with experience. This position includes a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, and paid time off. Esalen provides staff with access to an extensive range of educational and community benefits, including movement classes, ongoing in-house programs, and discounts and scholarship for workshops, bodywork, and other Esalen services.
Established in 1962, Esalen is a leading center for exploring and realizing human potential through experience, education, and research. We work toward the realization of a more humane and all-embracing world, seeking answers to questions unlikely to be explored by traditional universities and religions. We sponsor pioneering initiatives and offer personal, spiritual, and social transformation programs for residents, interns, and workshop participants. To learn more about our history, browse our program and workshop offerings, or download the current catalog, please visit our web site at www.esalen.org.
To Apply: submit resume, including cover letter, detailing your qualifications, experience, and interest by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application Deadline: until filled