Human Resources Manager
Esalen Institute, the pioneering educational organization dedicated to personal and social transformation, is now hiring for the position of Human Resources Manager. This position reports to the Director of Human Resources & Residential Education and is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Human Resources department, including employee relations, safety, compensation, benefits, housing, performance reviews and workers compensation.
- Manage the day-to-day employee relations issues, with guidance from the Director of Human Resources
- Trains managers to coach and discipline employees
- Maintains management guidelines by preparing, updating and recommending human resource policies and procedures
- Keeps and maintains personnel files in an organized and confidential manner. Design a filing and retrieval system; keeping past and current records in accordance with applicable state and federal guidelines
- Ensure compliance with I-9 form completion and storage
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies
- Maintains the work structure by updating job requirements and job descriptions for all positions
- Participates in annual wage surveys
- Supervise the administration of the health, dental, HSA, COBRA, and other benefits for new, existing and exiting employees. Maintain annual revewals
- Handle all Workers Compensation issues
- Overall responsibility for Cal-OSHA compliance
- New hire orientation
- Hiring and Exit process for staff
- Coordinate recruitment efforts with hiring managers and potential candidates
- Manage the volunteer committee that plans Staff Week
- Maintain personnel action forms and coordinate changes/updates with payroll staff
- Manage annual performance review process
- Ensure Esalen’s legal compliance by monitoring and implementing applicable human resource federal and state requirements and labor laws; conduct investigations; maintain records; represent the organization at hearings
- Manage monthly housing changes
- Responsible for accuracy of the HRIS system
- Work closely with Payroll to ensure accurate and timely pay to employees
- Other various tasks as assigned
- 4+ years experience as a Manager of Human Resources; hiring, benefits administration, payroll, performance management, communication processes, compensation and wage structures, support diversity, classifying employees, knowledge of employment law and laws against sexual harassment
- Ability to maintain a high-level of confidentiality
- Knowledge of California labor laws/compliancy
- Excellent organizational, writing, and listening skills
- Common sense and empathy
- It is a plus to have spent time at Esalen
While performing the duties of this job, the employee must be able to sit for long periods of time at a desk work on computers and answer phones, occasionally carry and lift up to 25 pounds, and maneuver on uneven ground.
Compensation and Benefits
The pay for this position is commensurate with experience. This position includes a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, and paid time off. Esalen provides staff with access to an extensive range of educational and community benefits, including movement classes, ongoing in-house programs, and discounts and scholarship for workshops, bodywork, and other Esalen services.
Established in 1962, Esalen is a leading center for exploring and realizing human potential through experience, education, and research. We work toward the realization of a more humane and all-embracing world, seeking answers to questions unlikely to be explored by traditional universities and religions. We sponsor pioneering initiatives and offer personal, spiritual, and social transformation programs for residents, interns, and workshop participants. To learn more about our history, browse our program and workshop offerings, or download the current catalog, please visit our web site at www.esalen.org.
Application deadline: open until filled.
Esalen Institute is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.