Esalen Institute, the pioneering educational organization dedicated to personal and social transformation, is now hiring for a Housekeeping Supervisor. This full-time staff position (40 hours/week) is responsible for all aspects of running a cleaning service for 100+ guest beds, the Baths, and maintaining a towel service, all with an ever-changing workforce. This position reports directly to the Housekeeping Manager. This position requires working a weekend (Friday, Saturday and Sunday) schedule.
The Supervisor is expected to have expertise in housekeeping operations and be able to advise workers regarding proper procedures, methods, and actions needed to meet daily demands of the department.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Assisting the Manager with assigning workers their duties and inspects work for conformance to prescribed standards of cleanliness.
- Investigating complaints and issues regarding housekeeping service and equipment, and takes corrective action.
- Obtaining list of rooms to be cleaned immediately and list of prospective check-in and check outs to prepare work assignments.
- Coordinating work activities among departments, as needed.
- Conducting orientation training to explain policies, work procedures, and to demonstrate use and maintenance of equipment.
- Inventories stock to ensure adequate supplies.
- Assisting the Manager to forecast and schedule workers to ensure department needs are met and daily operations are maintained effectively.
- Making recommendations to improve service and ensure more efficient operation.
- Preparing reports as needed.
- Other various supervisory responsibilities as assigned
General Housekeeping Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Clean and maintain the guest rooms
- Support the cleaning crews during crew changes
- Move furniture when required
- Massage table maintenance/servicing
- Maintenance and inspection of housekeeping equipment
- Organization and maintenance of inventory
- Cover and fill in for other Housekeeping Staff as needed
- Assist Facilities Coordinator with setting up and breaking down meetings rooms for workshops, leaders requests and monitor Esalen supplies
- Golf cart taxi for handicapped guests
- Deliveries and pickups around property to support workshops
- Lost & Found – respond to requests, store, label, match and return
- Ensure cleaning closets around property are stocked
- Wash, label, organize and store linens
- Fulfill ad hoc community requests
- Assist in housekeeping maintenance projects as necessary
- Deep clean rooms, window cleaning and equipment replacement
- Suggest ways of improving the department and its services
- Assist in room renovation projects
- Monitor, approve and submit payroll reports
- Assist Housekeeping Manager with ordering and stocking supplies
- Manage and generate the departmental Staff Schedules
- Source and hire new staff for weekly and monthly housekeeping projects
- Assist in training and orienting new staff
- Attend departmental meetings and processes
- Be a housekeeping liaison to other departments
- Other various tasks as assigned.
- Comfortably handle 40 hours of physical labor, rarely restful, involving lifting and carrying stock and equipment (including furniture and massage tables), loading and unloading vehicles and equipment.
- Be open to finding better ways to communicate with others and meeting new people. Be available for clear communication and new ways of relating.
- Be open to an ever -changing work environment socially and physically. Integrate emotional work while meeting demands of a 40 hour a week work schedule. Adapt to “less prestigious” work and stay present and focused
- Be proficient with computer usage using MS Office
- Be able to communicate in English (written and oral) on multiple organizational levels
- Leadership experience in housekeeping operation
- Knowledge of housekeeping methods, materials, work scheduling
- 3 years experience working in a housekeeping operation in a leadership capacity or equivalent training
- A thorough understanding of service principles and practices
- Teaching skills, communication skills, time management, prioritizing and delegating
While performing the duties of this job: the employee must be able to work in a physically demanding environment; maneuver on uneven ground; stand for long periods of time; regularly lift and carry bags and bundles up to 30 pounds; carry, push and pull vacuums; lift, bend, carry, load and unload laundry in and out of industrial washing equipment; move furniture. There is daily exposure to biodegradable chemicals.
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time 40 hours per week position.The pay for this position is commensurate with experience. This position includes a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, and paid time off. Esalen provides staff with access to an extensive range of educational and community benefits, including movement classes, ongoing in-house programs, and discounts and scholarship for workshops, bodywork, and other Esalen services.
Established in 1962, Esalen is a leading center for exploring and realizing human potential through experience, education, and research. We work toward the realization of a more humane and all-embracing world, seeking answers to questions unlikely to be explored by traditional universities and religions. We sponsor pioneering initiatives and offer personal, spiritual, and social transformation programs for residents, interns, and workshop participants.
To learn more about our history, browse our program and workshop offerings, or download the current catalog.
To Apply: submit resume, including cover letter, detailing your qualifications, experience, and interest by email to email@example.com.
Application Deadline: Open until filled.