Guest Relations Specialist
Esalen Institute, the pioneering alternative education center dedicated to personal and social transformation, is currently seeking someone with exceptional Guest services skills and experience, outstanding organizational and communication skills, and dedicated to personal growth and Community living.
This full-time position (40hrs per week) is shared between Office/Reservations duties, and Guest Services support, and reports to the Guest Services Manager.
We are seeking a highly motivated individual that loves to work with people, to serve others; and has a passion for understanding the detail and a drive to make it better. You must have experience in delivering a high quality service, and in collaboration create smooth cost effective business operations.
We are also interested in someone that recognizes the work that we do in the world is critical, someone who understands and supports Esalen’s Vision & Mission; and has a strong desire to be involved in our Esalen Community.
Responsibilities - Guest Services Quality Assurance & Projects
In collaboration with our Development Team, deliver a high quality service to our Special Guests & Donors;
- enhancing our relationships and philanthropic partnerships
- Maintain confidentiality and practice discretion at all times
- Premium Room Review – ‘Do our Premium Rooms deliver a premium experience?’
- Responsible for the Esalen Orientation Program, administration, delivery, training others, and as part of a team enhance the program
- Create and administer a Customer Complaint Process and Reporting
- Manage the Feedback Sheet Process. Review and create an Online Feedback Sheet process, including monthly reporting of results
- Participate in the creation and management of a Guest In-Room Binder
- Bring in new and creative ways of looking at things; and have the ability to think outside the box looking for innovative solutions
Responsibilities – Office
- Providing exceptional customer service, welcoming and supporting our Guests and Staff with kindness and respect
- Answering Esalen Reservations line and general Office lines. An exceptional phone manner is required
- All Front Desk duties, including bookstore sales and support, massage reservations and practitioner support, providing customer information and guidance, supporting the Supervisor as required
- Process all Guest & Staff reservations – Workshops, Personal Retreat, Massage, In-house Programs
- Process all Back Office duties – Auto Pay/ Cashout/ Rosters/ $Rosters/ Gate Info/ Meal Count/ Bed Shifter
- Office Opening and Closing duties
- Train new team members in all the above
- Support staff development and training, provide healthy and respectful feedback, and clear training programs
- Ensure a strong working relationships with all departments, particularly with Programs, Cabins, IT, Facilities and Maintenance
- Participation in Department Process and Esalen Staff Meetings
Experience / Qualifications / Skills
- At least 5 years Customer Service experience, with a passion for exceptional service
- Customer Reservations experience; with an exceptional phone manner
- Strong interpersonal skills (on the phone, email and in person)
- Proven team player, maintaining healthy relationships with co-workers, other departments and Community members
- Strong communication skills, while seeking better ways
- Experience with reviewing business process, finding and recommending improvements that provide a quality Guest Service, and efficient and effective ways of operating
- Detailed orientated and highly organized
- Documentation writing and experience with training others
- Ability to make effective decisions and deal compassionately with difficult situations, being able to set healthy and assertive boundaries in kindness and with respect
- A strong desire to participate in our Esalen Community
- Strong computer skills
- Self motivated and responsible, with a willingness to learn a wide variety of job skills
- Be able to receive guidance and feedback, and be able to provide feedback with care and respect
While performing the duties of this job: the employee must be able to work in a physically demanding environment; ability to lift up to 30 pounds; maneuver on uneven ground; stand for long periods of time; sitting at a desk and working on computers and answering phones.
Established in 1962, Esalen is a leading center for exploring and realizing human potential through experience, education, and research. We work toward the realization of a more humane and all-embracing world, seeking answers to questions unlikely to be explored by traditional universities and religions. We sponsor pioneering initiatives and offer personal, spiritual, and social transformation programs for residents, interns, and workshop participants. To learn more about our history, browse our program and workshop offerings, or download the current catalog, please visit our web site at www.esalen.org.
Please send your resume, cover letter, references and any salary requirements to email@example.com. Or complete our online application form. Application deadline: open until filled. Esalen Institute is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.