We are located along a scenic and relatively remote stretch of California's central coast, approximately 12 miles south of Big Sur. Our address is:
55000 Highway 1
Big Sur, CA, 93920
Traveling by Air
Our closest airports are in Monterey and in the San Francisco Bay Area:
- Monterey Peninsula Airport (MRY) – approximately 4 hours
- San Jose International Airport (SJC) – approximately 5 hours
- San Francisco International Airport (SFO) – approximately 5.5 hours
We offer shuttle van transportation between Esalen and the Monterey Peninsula Airport on Fridays and Sundays, and recommend the Monterey Airbus for transportation between San Jose or San Francisco airports and Monterey. For van service schedules and pricing, please click here.
Traveling by Car
If you live in Monterey, the San Francisco Bay Area, or southern California and prefer a greener alternative to driving your own car, consider carpooling or taking our shuttle service if traveling from Monterey is a possibility.
Parking at Esalen
Please note that Esalen does not have adequate parking spaces for large vehicles on the campus. Large vehicles need to park on Highway 1 at the Esalen entrance.
From San Francisco or points north:
- Follow Route 101 South to Paso Robles.
- Take exit 228 for CA-46 W toward Cambria.
- After approximately 21 miles, turn right onto CA-1 N.
- Continue on CA-1 until you reach Esalen, located at mile marker 32.4.
From Los Angeles or points south:
Those coming from the south should take Route 101 north to San Luis Obispo, and then take Highway 1 north to Esalen.
- We are approximately 100 miles north of San Luis Obispo.
- When you reach Lucia, a bend in the road where there is a restaurant and motel, you are 10 miles south of Esalen.
- Look for the Esalen Institute sign on the left side of the highway, at mile marker 32.4.
Depending on weather conditions, there is also an alternate route for cutting off from Hwy 101 to Hwy 1 using Nacimiento-Fergusson Road. Click here for details.
Current Road Conditions
For traffic updates and other Caltrans projects in Monterey County, call (800) 427-ROAD (7623) within California and (916) 445-7623 from outside of California, or visit the Caltrans District 5 website.
Rideshare/Carpool to and from Esalen
If you have a reservation at Esalen and are interested in sharing a ride with someone else driving here from your area, let us know where you're coming from and whether you need a ride or are offering a ride. Then check back with the office from time to time to see who else has signed up to participate. Upon request, we'll provide you with the contact information of other people that you can potentially carpool with who are heading to Esalen on the same day you are.
To be added to the ride share list or to inquire about possible carpool matches, please contact Esalen Reservations at 888-837-2536 between the hours of 9AM and 5PM Pacific Time every day, or email email@example.com.
Kindly note that participation in the ride share program is variable. We cannot guarantee a match will be available on the day you intend to travel, and encourage you to plan accordingly.