Gazebo Park School is currently seeking a dynamic Teacher who enjoys working outdoors with young children (infants-6 years). This is a full time, year-round teaching position with the option of living at Esalen, if housing is available at time of hire.
Position begins early to mid-August.
Esalen’s Gazebo School Park, founded by Janet Lederman in 1977, is a state licensed infant/toddler and preschool program, specializing in play-based eco-education.
The Gazebo Park is a beautiful and safe children’s park overlooking the Pacific Ocean on the grounds of Esalen Institute. Our outdoor classroom spans over an acre of gardens, meadows and orchards with reading nooks, art spaces, children’s theater and climbing structures throughout. We prepare homemade organic meals with much of the produce coming from on site gardens.
We have an Eco-Education curriculum, teaching environmental stewardship through hands on activities such as gardening, caring for our animals, composting, cooking and first aid. We value respecting children’s pace, supporting independent exploration and nurturing positive communication, self-expression and group collaboration. Gazebo teachers model clear and positive communication using Gestalt principles. Teachers also help children to further their knowledge through literacy, project work and the expressive arts.
See this webpage for more information about the school.
- Must possess or qualify for at least a Child Development Associate Teacher Permit issued by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing. And have completed or be willing to complete 3 units of Infant/Toddler, early childhood coursework.
- Certification in pediatric CPR and First Aid.
- Flexible working style. Able to work with different age groups in different physical environments and under a variety of weather conditions.
- Understanding of or a willingness to learn Gestalt Awareness Practice.
- Strong collaboration skills.
- Horticulture, permaculture and/or artistic experience a plus.
- Willingness to work mostly outdoors in hot, cold, or wet weather.
- Requires the ability to stand for prolonged periods of time and to move quickly and easily from sitting to standing.
- Ability to kneel and/or bend at the waist for lifting/interacting with children and/or equipment up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to walk hilly and/or uneven terrain.
- Possess the ability to visually scan large spaces to ensure child safety indoors and out.
- Must submit to and successfully pass a background check.
The pay for this position is commensurate with experience. This position includes a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, and paid time off. Esalen provides access to an extensive range of educational and community benefits, including movement classes, ongoing in-house programs, and discounts and scholarship for workshops, bodywork, and other Esalen services.
Established in 1962, Esalen is a leading center for exploring and realizing human potential through experience, education, and research. We work toward the realization of a more humane and all-embracing world, seeking answers to questions unlikely to be explored by traditional universities and religions. We sponsor pioneering initiatives and offer personal, spiritual, and social transformation programs for residents, interns, and workshop participants. Please browse this website for more information.