Events Coordinator and Advancement Associate
This position supports a variety of initiatives undertaken by the Advancement Program with emphasis on coordination of special events, meetings, gatherings, visits, and tours for Esalen’s Development Program and for Marketing and Communications. This includes organization and execution of campaign related activities and small donor events held in different locations as well as on-campus at Esalen Institute.
The incumbent is assigned areas of ongoing responsibility within Marketing & Communications and provides support to the Manager.
The incumbent is assigned areas of ongoing responsibility within the Development program as well as special projects.
The staff member in this position needs to be flexible and willing to learn and participate in diverse assignments. Attention to detail and the ability to balance and prioritize numerous tasks are important. He/she frequently coordinates with colleagues in programs, guest services accounting, IT and other Esalen departments.
The position plays a key role in fostering positive relationships with donors, volunteers, media, vendors, as well a high level of interface with all levels of the organization, community and external constituents.
As a member of the Advancement team, the incumbent collaborates, coordinates, and consults with all team members, and at the same time is expected to be self-starting, demonstrate initiative, and make appropriate decisions. This is a 40-hour week exempt position. Given the timing and nature of special events, it will be necessary to work some evenings and weekends and the incumbent is expected to manage his/her own work schedule accordingly.
The position reports to the Director of Advancement and the Manager of Marketing and Communications on respective assignments.
1. Event Coordination
Organizes logistics for regional events in multiple cities. Includes negotiating with vendors, interfacing with donor hosts and speakers, and overseeing volunteer assistance.
Organizes periodic on-campus events, meetings, and visits/tours. Includes interfacing with campus colleagues and speakers.
- Will play role in planning, organization and execution of campaign events, meetings, and related activities. Includes negotiating with vendors and Esalen guest services and facilities, supervising outsourced staff, recruiting volunteers, and interfacing with donors and speakers.
- Primary responsibility for organizing annual online auction.
- Wrap up and follow up for all events.
- Assist with preparation and follow up around volunteer leadership activities.
- Supports definition of event scope, goals and deliverables that meet organizational goals in collaboration with Advancement Office staff.
- Tracks milestones and deliverables, reports progress to Director and other stakeholders as applicable.
- Develops best practices, tools and systems for enhanced event management and execution.
2. Support Functions for Advancement Office
- Scheduling and logistical execution for Committee meetings and department meetings as necessary to ensure smooth execution
- Handles travel arrangements for development staff and volunteers
- Coordinates collection of data for Advancement Program’s annual budget and assists with budget preparation. Oversees event budgets
- Conducts research on donor prospects in Esalen database and internet and prepares bios
- Fields general inquiries and requests for Advancement Office and ensures that someone follows up
- Other duties as needed
Marketing and Communications
- Manages requests from film makers, photographers, writers, journalists
- Screens initial inquiries and communicates response and policies
- Handles requests for information or visual materials
- Works with Marketing & Communications Manager to coordinate on-site visit
- Conducts campus tours or serve as campus escort as needed
- Coordinates with MarCom Manager and Esalen President as appropriate
- Manages requests from nonprofits for donations of Esalen goods and services
- Screens requests
- Makes decisions per established criteria and consults with colleagues as necessary
- Oversees fulfillment of donations – external and internal components
- Assists President of Esalen with events or meetings involving public communications
- Scheduling and preparation for interviews or presentations to internal and external audiences
- Coordinates/schedules participation in public conferences and meetings
- Other duties to be assigned by MarCom Manager including basic web site and social media updating
3. Special Projects
- Serves as administrator for the SEED Program
- Communicates program description and deadlines to Esalen staff
- Collects proposals by deadline and forwards them to Selection Committee
- Organizes Selection Committee meetings
- Tracks progress reports and receipts from grantees and coordinates with Selection Committee and Accounting Office on same
- Coordinates announcement of awards
4. Campaign related assignments
- Support and back-up for gift processing and acknowledgement during busy times and when other staff are unavailable
- Additional Special Projects as needed
- Experience in coordination of events
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to plan, evaluate, and coordinate multiple projects
- Familiarity with database entry and management
- Basic office software: word, excel, PowerPoint.
- Experience in preparation and tracking of budgets
- Attention to detail and high level of accuracy
- Ability to make decisions when necessary and in other cases make recommendations to colleagues.
- Time management skills
While performing the duties of this job, the employee must be able to maneuver on uneven ground, sit for long periods of time, occasionally carry and lift up to 25 pounds, and be able perform daily repetitive hand motions as it pertains to computer mouse and keyboard.
The pay for this position is commensurate with experience. This position includes a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, and paid time off. Esalen provides staff with access to an extensive range of educational and community benefits, including movement classes, ongoing in-house programs, and discounts and scholarship for workshops, bodywork, and other Esalen services.