Director of Financial Services
Esalen Institute, a pioneering educational, non-profit organization, dedicated to personal and social transformation and anchored by the inspiring beauty of Big Sur, is currently seeking a Director of Financial Services.
As a key member of the senior leadership team, the Director of Financial Services (DFS) will report to the CEO and will assume a strategic role in the overall management of the organization. Based in our Carmel California office with occasional visits to our main campus in Big Sur, this person will directly lead a 3 member team and be responsible for planning, implementing, and managing all financial-related activities of this mission based, $14M annual revenue organization.
The right person for this role will have an accounting degree, with 10+ years of progressively responsible financial experience, of which at least 5 years is at a Controller or higher level in a similar-sized organization.
Why Work for Esalen?
This is an opportunity and an adventure to contribute to a truly unique experience that ignites positive change in people’s lives and in society and points us to a more humane, more sustainable and more holistic world. There is nothing else like it.
You will be collaborating with a team of passionate and committed individuals who are dedicated to furthering Esalen’s critical role in today’s world.
Your role will be pivotal to the success of the Institute. Developing a sustainable business model strategy and strengthening the financial systems is an organizational priority. Your strengths as an analytical thinker and doer, planner and collaborator will be crucial to our success.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
Strategic Financial Leadership (25%)
- Collaborate with the executive leadership team to develop effective long-range strategic and business plans to improve financial sustainability and mission impact.
- Evaluate and develop new business opportunities to support Esalen’s continuous growth initiatives
- Partner with Marketing, Programming and Guest Services to develop effective pricing, marketing and yield management strategies.
- Represent the organization to financial partners, including financial institutions, donors, foundations, auditors, and board members, acting as a senior organizational representative.
Financial and Accounting Management (75%)
- Build and lead a high performing, three member accounting team that fully support the mission of the organization.
- Actively manage the day-to-day functions for the accounting department including preparation of the monthly financial reporting package and related analytics, accounts payable, payroll, restricted funds, fixed assets and be responsible for the overall financial monthly and annual closing process.
- Scheduling and preparation of documents for annual independent audit and tax return.
- Actively manage and lead the annual budgeting process and the implementation of budgets so as to monitor progress and present financial metrics and variance reports.
- Manage cash flow and forecasting.
- Ensure legal and regulatory compliance, adequate internal controls and safeguarding of assets.
- Ensure adequate insurance packages including liability, property, fidelity, and renewals annually.
Essential Skills and Experience:
- Deep appreciation for Esalen’s mission and values.
- B.S. in Accounting
- 10+ years of progressively responsible accounting/finance experience with at least 5 years at the controller or higher level.
- Effective communication skills, both verbal and written are a must.
- Non-profit accounting experience preferred.
- Excellent ability to manage multiple competing demands and priorities.
- Superior skills in collaboration and fostering teamwork.
- High level of integrity and dependability with a strong sense of urgency and results-orientation
- Strong skills in problem solving and creativity
- Highly proficient at leveraging technology including Excel and various other accounting and business software tools.
The pay for this position is commensurate with experience. This position includes a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, and paid time off. Esalen provides staff with access to an extensive range of educational and community benefits, including movement classes, ongoing in-house programs, and discounts and scholarship for workshops, bodywork, and other Esalen services.
Established in 1962, Esalen is a leading center for exploring and realizing human potential through experience, education, and research. We work toward the realization of a more humane and all-embracing world, seeking answers to questions unlikely to be explored by traditional universities and religions. We sponsor pioneering initiatives and offer personal, spiritual, and social transformation programs for residents, interns, and workshop participants.
Please send your resume, cover letter, references and any salary requirements to email@example.com. Application deadline: open until filled.